The Blue Ridge Rampage is the premier race on race day that will take teams all over the Blue Ridge school property, as well as outside of the school for over half of the race. With 50-60% of the race on private property, teams will be treated to some special sections of land very few people have had access to. This is our backyard, and training ground. We spend alot of time playing in these mountains and can’t wait to show it off! With the days getting shorter in early November, teams will be racing in the dark at both ends of the race for several hours. Due to the time of year (weather) location of the school, and logistics, there is no planned paddle leg at this time. If that changes once the final course is set we will notify all registered teams.
Teams can expect significant elevation gain and loss, sustained climbs on the bike, technical off-trail travel and mountain terrain, biking on miles of purpose-build MTB trails, several foot orienteering courses, beautiful Virginia back-country gravel road riding, picture postcard scenery, overlooks/vistas and maybe even a winery or two!
The Rampage will be hard. If you are addicted to adventure racing, love pushing yourself and are ready for a challenge, this is the race for you. Bring your climbing legs and your compass—you are going to need it!
Registration will open in July
Date: Saturday, November 3rd to Sunday, November 4th
In partnership with the school and their outdoor recreation program, $10 from every individual entry will be donated back to the school. We have a goal of raising $2000 for the school so they can continue to build awesome trails and support outdoor recreation. Thank you for helping us make this happen!
For more information on the school’s outdoor recreation program check out their website here.
Team check-in : Friday, November 2nd, 4 to 7 pm, at the school (exact location TBA)
Maps and rules of travel distribution: 7 pm
Mandatory race brief: 7:30pm
Race start: Saturday, November 3rd, time TBD
Race finish: Time TBD
Awards and post race dinner and fun: Time TBD
- Solo (Male, Female)
- Two Person (Male, Female, Coed)
- Three-Person (Male, Female, Coed)
- Four-Person (Male, Female, Coed)
- Hiking/trail running, bushwhacking
- Mountain Biking. No road bikes or cross bikes allowed. ONLY MTBs are allowed.
- Paddling: No paddle for this one
COST (per person)
Early registration: Will be announced later this summer
Very Late registration: (Save some cash and register early! Late registrations are not guaranteed shirts.)
($10 of every individual entry will be donated back to the school and their outdoor recreation program)
The Rampage will be a USARA sanctioned event. At check-in all racers will be required to fill out a USARA form and purchase a one-day license fee for $8 or a yearly membership for $35. Cash or check only. No credit cards will be accepted.
What you get (along with an awesome day in the woods!):
- Beautiful custom made maps
- Awesome race swag (and we mean awesome)
- Post race food and drinks
- Medals for the top 3 in each category and prizes from our generous sponsors
- A great day outside with old and new friends
Mandatory Gear for Each Team
- Bike tool, spare tube(s), pump or CO2
- Basic medical kit (We recommend the Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight 3):
- Duct tape
- Pain/fever medication (Ibuprofen/Tylenol)
- ACE Bandage
- Gauze pads or small roll of gauze
- Race map (provided at check-in)
- Race rules of travel (provided at check-in)
- Race passport (provided at check-in)
- Pen or pencil
- Cell phone (fully charged)
- Small dry bag for the safe-keeping of your cell phone. These bag(s) MUST BE WATERPROOF. It is to your benefit to make sure you have the best waterproofing system you can find.
- Waterproof map case (this can be as simple as zip lock(s) and duct tape or a store bought case)
- Appropriate clothing for the weather that day
- Map board
- Money in case you ride by a store
Mandatory Gear for Each Racer
- Backpack and a way to carry water (e.g., camelbak, water bottles, etc.)
- Rain shell
- Long sleeve fleece/wool/synthetic top
- Fleece/wool/synthetic hat
- Food and water for the race
- Space blanket (We recommend the SOL Space Blanket)
- Headlamp and back-up batteries
- Bike helmet
- Bike lights (red blinky light for rear and white for front…headlamp is ok)